Friday, August 8, 2008

The Guinea Pig

So Doc Stone said to my Dad "You're an experiment."

Dad's White count, Red count and Hemoglobin were all steady and up again. He needed platelets though, which may be an ongoing process for ever and ever, but hopefully his marrow will start working on that soon.

SO they got platelets in Sterling, which is only 30 miles from their home. They also have a new Chemo schedule. Starting the week of August 18th, Dad will head into Sterling once a week to get Chemo for 10 weeks. Doc Stone thinks this may be easier on his body than the 5 days in a row once a month treatment he's done the last 2 times. They'll see how it's working from there and make any alterations as needed.

The best part of this new schedule is Dad gets to be at home. He gets to hang out with his dog and in his Honey House. He gets to sleep in his own bed. That helps tremendously.

Yesterday, in decidedly better spirits, he said to me "I'm gonna fight this thing with all I've got. I know I've got at least 10 more good years in me."

Just hearing his determination made me smile.

No comments: